Decluttering Your House With Public & Self-Storage Units in Oakville, Burlington, and the GTA
Everyone has a little extra ‘stuff’ lying around. This stuff, coupled with that disorganization, equals clutter.
Clutter is anything you’re keeping around your house that doesn’t add value to your life. Clutter, however you define it, can also be bad for your health. According to Psychology Today, people tend to feel like life is out of control when they surround themselves with more things than they can manage.
Decluttering is all about making room in your home for the things that matter:
• Decluttering relieves stress by providing a sense of control and accomplishment; and
• Getting rid of your junk frees up a little extra space in your home for you, your family, and your friends that wasn’t there before.
U-NEED Storage understands that things can get a bit out of control, and moving can provide a great opportunity to clear up a bit of that clutter from your life. Whether you need boxes, bubble wrap, tape, locks, or furniture and mattress covers U-NEED Storage has the competitively priced packing supplies you need, as well as public storage and self-storage solutions at our eight affordable, convenient, and secure locations. To help you get started, here are a few tips to help you declutter.
Start with a plan, specific goals will help you create a plan that will reduce any clutter frustration you experience:
• Write down or make a map of all your rooms and clutter hot-spots you want to tackle, and grade them on the severity of the clutter to help you prioritize your time.
• Do one room or one space at a time and set attainable completion dates for each phase of your cleanup – make it feel like a game so you don’t get frustrated.
• Also, break larger tasks like a basement or a garage into manageable section
Next, create a sorting system, like the three box method - gather three boxes or storage bins and label them: keep/put in storage units; get rid of (donate/sell); and, garbage. This method forces you to make a decision item by item, so you don’t end up with a bigger mess than the one you started with.
If you don’t know where to start, start small like organizing a drawer or two, or one corner of your desk. Set a timer and work for 15 minutes and accomplish as much as you can. It will give you a sense of accomplishment when you’re done and these satisfying transformations can lead to tackling bigger projects. Taking baby steps can eventually lead to positive changes.
Finally, as each storage box fills and at the end of each decluttering session, reserve 10 to 15 minutes to make a brief inventory of the contents and address contents properly:
• Keep/Put Away items, label boxes and put items in more appropriate places.
• Donate/Sell items should be stored outside the house, in a garage, or in the trunk of the car for drop-off at a charity donation center.
• Empty the trash can quickly to prevent second thoughts.
For clutter, moving, and storage solutions in Milton/Acton, Oakville/Burlington, Georgetown/Brampton, Halton Hills/Mississauga, Freelton/Waterdown, and Guelph/Cambridge contact U-NEED Storage today at 905-878-9111 or toll free at 1-866-486-9111, and you can also text us at 416 858 5095.