Do I need a climate-controlled storage unit?
If you’re looking for self-storage solutions, you’ll find that many companies offer climate-controlled units. Are you wondering whether you need one? Here’s what you should know.
Climate-controlled storage can protect your items from damage
While many self-storage units don’t offer temperature regulation, climate-controlled spaces are kept at a constant temperature anywhere between 10 and 20 degrees Celsius. At the same time, these units maintain a consistent level of humidity and never become too humid or too dry. This protects items that are more delicate or sensitive to temperature changes and excessive moisture.
What should be kept in a climate-controlled environment
While almost anything can be kept in a climate-controlled storage unit, some things must be protected from extreme temperature and humidity fluctuations in order to prevent irreparable damage. This includes the following:
- Wood or leather furniture. Bed frames, tables, chairs and other furniture made of wood can crack or warp if exposed to excessive moisture. Similarly, leather can be damaged by moisture and mildew in environments that are too humid.
- Appliances. Climate-controlled storage units protect household appliances like washers, dryers, refrigerators and ovens from cracks, rust and other damage.
- Collectibles. Art, antiques, books, stamps and any other collectibles must be kept in temperature- and humidity-controlled environments.
- Musical instruments. Extreme temperatures and humidity can permanently damage musical instruments by warping wood, snapping strings and corroding the brass.
- Photos. Family photos are susceptible to fading, discolouration and tearing if not properly stored. Besides keeping them in a climate-controlled storage unit, be sure to stack your photos facing away from each other in order to prevent deterioration.
- Essential documents. Personal and business papers should be kept dry in order to ensure they remain readable. Prolonged exposure to humidity can ruin your documents and cause you to lose important information.
- Electronics. Prolonged exposure to humidity can cause the same damage to electronics as a direct water spill. Additionally, screens built with plasma can be severely damaged by extreme heat and cold.
Climate-controlled storage solutions in the GTA
U-Need Storage offers climate-controlled units as well as mobile storage containers and indoor and outdoor vehicle storage at ten locations in the GTA. All of our locations offer 24/7 access to your belongings in gated facilities with keypad access. Call us today to find out more about our storage solutions.