HOW TO SAFELY STORE VIDEO GAMES AND CONSOLES IN SELF-STORAGE UNITS
Are you an avid gamer that needs to store your video game collection for an extended period? Here are a few tips for storing your favourite games and consoles to enjoy them for years to come.
1. Choose a suitable storage space. If you’re serious about maintaining the integrity of your video games and consoles, invest in a climate-controlled storage unit. This’ll prevent excessive heat, cold and moisture from damaging your gaming equipment’s delicate electronic components.
2. Clean your game cartridges and discs. Clean your game cartridges and discs before storing them over a long period. Wipe game discs with a dry, microfibre cloth and clean cartridges with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol. Make sure your games are completely dry before packing them away.
3. Store games. If possible, store your game cartridges and discs in their original packaging. You can also purchase third-party disc sleeves and cartridge organizers to prevent your games from getting scratched or damaged in storage.
4. Separate the cords. Disconnect all the cables from your gaming console, loosely wrap them and label them with masking tape. Then, place the cords in a large plastic bag to protect them from pests and moisture. Do the same with your gaming controllers.
If you need to store a battery-powered controller or console like a Game Boy, don’t forget to take out the batteries to prevent them from leaking.
5. Wrap up the console. Before storing your game console, wipe it down. If you still have the original packaging for your gaming system, use it for storage. If you don't have the original box and packing materials, wrap the console in bubble wrap or dish towels to cushion it while it's in storage.
Finally, place all your games and consoles in large plastic bins with airtight lids and store the containers off the ground to avoid water damage if there’s a flood.
Find a Secure Self-Storage Unit in Freelton, Oakville and Beyond
U-Need Storage is the place to go if you’re looking for a climate-controlled, indoor storage unit to store household items like video games, electronics, and other valuables. Our student, individual and business storage facilities are located across the Greater Toronto Area, including Mississauga, Milton, Georgetown and Guelph. We offer complete storage services at affordable rates. Contact us today to find out more about how you can rent a self-storage unit.